Sunday, October 18, 2009

Grimm

I thought it was interesting how this article compared fairytales to the Buffy episodes. Many ideas for fairytales are incorporated into Buffy episodes by making them a little more creepy. After reading the article I was shocked at how many fairytales have quite scary plot lines. One of the creepiest episodes in the series was the silent one "Hush." The whole episode is based on a fairytale plotline which is quite scary. I never would have thought that a fairytale that was meant for children could be quite so scary. "The Gentlemen, who are said to come to a town, steal the voices of the citizen's, then proceed to cut out the hearts of seven unlucky residents. It seems weird that this kind of plot line would be for children.

1 comment:

  1. I felt the same way when pondering about the thought of how a fairytale should be. A fairytale to me is happy, exciting, and romantic. However, this one is weird and scary. It definitely changed my perspective on how Buffy incorporated such a different view on the "typical" fairytale.

    ReplyDelete