Monday, November 30, 2009

WB POST 4

I have never watched Star Trek before so I decided to start from the beginning and watch the very first episode The Man Trap. In the episode Captain Kirk and his crew arrive at a planet and meet with two women one of which Sergeant Mcoy used to be romantic with. Not too long into the episode one of the women notices that a crew member has been killed and she says that she saw him eat a plant that poisoned him. After Captain Kirk runs some tests on the dead crew member, he discovers that the man could not have died from the poisonous plant. We later find out that the women who calls herself Nacy is not who she says she is. Nancy is really a creature that lives off salt and has the ability to change forms whenever its wants which is why it disguised itself as Nancy. The creature went arounf attmepting to kill crew members but in the end, Lenard kills the creature and saves Captain Kirk.

Star Trek isn`t the type of science fiction I am super interested in mostly because there is a lack of action but I`m sure it appeals to many other people. I`ve noticed after looking at the different types of science fiction that I am more interested in the type that deals with vampires and werewolfs instead of space. I think that science fiction that deals with space is good if the show is exciting and the acting is good. Science fiction has evolved from shows like Star Trek up to more present modern day shows like Dollhouse. I find that shows like Buffy the Vampire Slayer are popular becasue they are easy to relate to as the show is based on a girl in highschool. Shows like Star Trek have a more selected audience becasue many people aren`t interested in space travel or technology.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you Star Trek really isn't that interesting to me either. I would rather watch a modern day action movie. All in all I still don't think I'm that big of a Sci-Fi fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not really a fan of the science fiction that takes place in space either. I much prefer shows like Buffy.

    ReplyDelete